Feral Cat Assistance

Kern County Animal Services provides the program/service listed below only to residents who live in the unincorporated areas of Kern County (including the unincorporated municipalities of Frazier Park, Lamont, Mojave, Oildale, and Rosamond) or in the contracted cities of Arvin and Tehachapi. Residents of other incorporated cities should review the below list of Other Local TNR Resources or contact their city agency.

Which agency should I contact regarding feral cats?


Kern County Animal Services is proud to be one of the thousands of agencies in the United States embracing Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR).  In 2013,  Animal Services launched KCATNiP (Kern Cat Advocates Trap and Neuter Program) as the humane method of controlling the feral and free-roaming cat populations. Using this technique, feral cats are trapped, neutered and then returned to their territory.  Young kittens who can still be socialized, as well as friendly adults, are placed in foster care and eventually adopted out to good homes.    Why TNR works (PDF)

This program operates only out of the Bakersfield facility.    Location/Directions

Other Local TNR Resources

How to Get Involved

  1. Call  (661) 868-6999 to confirm that the facility has room to house the cat(s)
  2. Trap the cats    Trapping tips (PDF) 
  3. Fill out the trapper agreement (PDF); if you have more than 2 cats enter details on the back of the form
  4. Take the cat(s) to the Bakersfield facility    Location/Directions
  5. If you have agreed to participate in the KCATNIP program (see the trapper agreement (PDF) for details), when contacted by Animal Services pick up the cat(s) and return them to the location from which they were taken

Still Have Questions?

Contact our hotline at (661) 868-6999 or email animalservices@kerncounty.com.

Read more about the KCATNIP program (PDF) 


We thank you for being a part of the solution to the feral and community cat problem in Kern County and for helping us to save more lives!